Welcome to week 5-6 of Operation Get Strong & Sexy. In case you missed the four weeks, click HERE and HERE and HERE and HERE to see what this is all about. Basically, my clients Erin & Sammie decided to set a date for a powerlifting competition. Though they’ve done bodybuilding training and competed in bikini competitions, they’ve never competed or trained for a powerlifting competition. We decided to film and broadcast our journey.
Final Weeks of Training Clip
I’ve been extremely busy over the past few weeks so I haven’t posted an update. However, the training has been incredible and the meet results were phenomenal. Here’s a video highlighting the final weeks of training:
As you can see, the girls trained very hard!
The meet was on Saturday, and the girls kicked ass!
HERE is a pdf of the official results.
Erin weighed in at 101 lbs and competed in the 106 lb weight class.
Sammie weighed in at 124 lbs and competed in the 132 lb weight class. She missed the 123 lb weight class cut-off by just a pound, but we really didn’t care about this as we were competing for the sake of competing and weren’t worried about weight.
Erin hit a 67.5 kg (149 lb) squat, which was a PR (4 lbs over what she’d done in training)!
Sammie hit a 90 kg (198 lb) squat, which was actually 12 lbs under what she’d done in training.
Erin benched 40 kg (88 lbs), which was 7 lbs under what she’d done in training.
Sammie benched 45 kg (99 lbs), which was 6 lbs under what she’d done in training.
Erin pulled 95 kg (209 lbs), which was a PR (4 lbs over what she’d done in training)!
Sammie pulled 132.5 kg (292 lbs), which was a PR (7 lbs over what she’d done in training)!
Erin ended up with a 202.5 kg (446 lbs) total.
Sammie ended up with a 267.5 kg (590 lbs) total.
Video of the Meet
Here’s a video of the meet. I’m sure I screwed up on some of the weights as I’m not quite accustomed to kilogram loads.
Highlights & Reflections
There are numerous points I’d like to highlight, in no particular order of importance:
- The girls trained and competed completely raw – no wraps, belts, straps, or other supportive gear. Knee wraps and belts were allowed in the competition, but they wanted to test their pure raw strength.
- Neither of the girls suffered any injuries throughout the entire training period or competition.
- The girls only did powerlifting training twice per week for 2 hours and only performed around a dozen sessions in the 6 weeks prior to the meet.
- Neither of the girls “bulked up” or put on much weight – I think Erin gained two pounds and Sammie stayed put.
- The girls’ form improved (especially Sammie’s squat form) markedly over the 6 weeks and now the form comes quite natural to them (keep in mind they just started PL training!).
- The girls’ glutes were the only muscles that really grew throughout the training, and this is largely due to the high rep glute training (assistance work) that we performed after the specific powerlifting work was conducted each session.
- Erin put roughly 50 lbs on her squat, 15 lbs on her bench press, and 70 lbs on her deadlift in the six weeks leading up to the meet.
- Sammie put roughly 20 lbs on her squat, 25 lbs on her bench press, and 60 lbs on her deadlift in the six weeks leading up to the meet.
- The girls felt a bit claustrophobic when squatting at the meet as they weren’t used to being surrounded by spotters.
- I definitely could have done a better job of getting the girls accustomed to the commands prior to the meet; they felt a bit unprepared during squats and bench press in particular.
- I failed on my end by not checking out the bench pressing rules for NASA as they require flat feet – Sammie was used to benching on her toes with her feet underneath her.
- The deadlift portion of the meet went so fast it was insane. I would estimate that the girls had 2 minutes of time in between their attempts.
- Since this was the girls’ first meet, I was very cautious with their openers and went with weights they could do for 5-10 reps if need-be as I wanted to build confidence.
- Sammie’s last pull looked really easy – I bet she could have pulled 300-305!
- I was shocked at how many women competitors were called on their squat depth and then acted surprised – don’t they have trainers and do they film their training sessions???