Hi fitness folks! Do you know the answer to these research questions? If not, you ought to subscribe to our research review service.
The S&C Research Review is a monthly summary of the latest strength and conditioning, biomechanics, physiology, and physical therapy research. It comes out on the first day of every month, and you can subscribe to it on PayPal for just $10 per month and no long-term commitment!
Just click on the button below to subscribe:
Strength & Conditioning, Power and Hypertrophy
- Do drop sets produce greater hypertrophy than straight sets?
- Is training to failure necessary for hypertrophy when using light loads?
- Do volume-matched linear and daily undulating periodization produce similar results?
- Do HIIT and strength training produce a similar number of non-responders?
- Does fascicle length explain joint angle-specific gains in strength?
- What is the optimum length for training cessation to maximize performance?
- Can kettlebell swing training improve deadlift 1RM in trained individuals?
- Is contrast strength training better than standard strength training for improving athletic performance in junior male soccer players?
- Do plyometrics enhance the effects of light load maximal effort strength training on athletic performance in soccer players?
- Is jump squat performance related to athletic performance in elite rugby athletes?
- How does bar speed during training affect gains in maximum strength?
- Can light load BFR training improve rate of force development (RFD)?
- Does light load BFR training cause muscle damage and increase oxidative stress?
- Can BFR increase muscle activation during heavy load training?
Biomechanics & Motor Control
- Can a single sled push potentiate 20m sprint running performance in rugby athletes?
- Can isometric squats potentiate change of direction ability in rugby athletes?
- Can a single power training workout improve explosive performance for 48 hours afterwards?
- Does level of sprinting experience alter the effects of attentional focus on sprint times?
- Can cues increase gluteus maximus activation during the bodyweight glute bridge?
- Does gluteus maximus activation training increase hip extension strength?
- Does the hip thrust produce greater gluteus maximus activation than the deadlift?
- Does relative load affect the muscle activation of each of the prime movers in the bench press similarly?
- Does eccentric overload increase velocity and force in the concentric phase?
- Does an eccentric overload workout lead to reduced activation of high threshold motor units immediately afterwards?
- Is knee extensor moment arm associated with performance in sprinters?
- How does the role of the ankle joint differ between accelerating sprinting and steady state running?
- What role does titin play in eccentric contractions?
- How does the neural control of concentric and eccentric contractions differ?
- How is passive muscle tension affected by fluid inside the muscle fiber?
Anatomy, Physiology & Nutrition
- How does relative load alter energy expended during circuit training?
- Which commercial group fitness classes involve the greatest energy expenditure?
- How does motor unit behavior change after endurance training and HIIT?
- Can a “sensory tolerance limit” explain fatigue during exercise?
- Does brown adipose tissue cause metabolic adaptation to overfeeding?
- What do overfeeding studies tell us about how we get fat?
- Do reductions in lean body mass lead to overeating after caloric restriction?
- What is the dietary protein requirement for bodybuilders on a non-training day?
- How does resistance training affect inflammatory markers?
- Can the pharmacological inhibition of myostatin protect against muscle atrophy post-injury?
- Can muscle fibers display several MHC isoforms along their length?
Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation
- What mechanisms underlie tendon adaptations to mechanical loading?
- How does patellar tendon stress differ between forward lunge variations?
- Is knee valgus angle correlated across the single leg squat, single leg drop landing, and drop jump tasks?
- In which phase of gait do hamstring strains occur: the late swing or early stance phases?
- Can the roller massager reduce muscle soreness after exercise-induced muscle damage?
- What effect do active and passive warm-ups have on hamstring muscles stiffness?
- What is the influence of genetic and psychological factors on post-shoulder surgery outcomes?
- Can passive stretching produce increases in muscle thickness and fascicle length?
- What effect does passive static stretching have on passive muscle stiffness?
- What effect does passive static stretching have on muscle architecture?
Get the full review!
The full edition contains far more than these brief summaries. It is packed full of 50 detailed reviews covering a range of topics relevant to strength and conditioning and physical therapy professionals alike. It only costs $10 per month so sign up by clicking below!