These blogposts have become increasingly difficult lately as I’ve been super-busy. I picked up a couple more personal training clients, have gained a bunch of new online clients, my Graduate Biomechanics Course is picking up steam, and I’m still trying to write articles, read an occasional journal article, and lift weights 4-6 times per week. And I’ve been slammed working on something else…which I’ll keep as a surprise for now, but I’ll update you in a few weeks (it’s not a product or anything like that). I’m in desperate need of a vacation! Here are the Good Reads for the Week:
Bret Contreras Articles
2. How Weight Training Saved My Life – I didn’t mean to sound so shallow in this article, I was trying to be as honest as possible. I started lifting weights because I hated being picked on and I wanted more chicks to like me. Take women off of the planet and I’d probably quit eating healthy, quit shaving, my outfits would cease to match, I’d start training MMA all day long, and I’d get up to 285 lbs with a huge bulk belly (but a strong squat and bench press).
3. Coach Keats Snideman tries to teach the Glute Guy how to do Swings and Get Ups. I really suck at these but Keats was able to get me much better in just ten minutes of instruction. My friend Keats rocks!
4. Men’s Health November (this month’s) Issue – (no link here it’s in the actual magazine) page 154-155 – I recommended single leg hip thrusts (which I believe are the best bodyweight hip dominant exercise in existence).
Article of the Week
1. Choosing the Path Less Traveled by Bill Starr – One Word: AMEN! Bill is a strength & conditioning legend (he wrote Only The Strongest Shall Survive) and this was a passionate article – definitely worth reading.
Blast From the Past
1. Correcting Posture: Myth or Reality – This was actually written in 2006. I read it around a year ago and was recently asked about it by a colleague. It will make you think.
WTF? Moment of the Week
1. Fat Dudes Last Longer in Bed than Lean Dudes. It Seems that Estradial can be a Good Thing
1. Coach Kevin Carr (Kevin is a S&C up-and-comer!)
2. Coach Jeremy Frisch (not sure if Jeremy plans on maintaining the site but he’s a smart guy and has a lot of strength training experience)
3. Sean Hyson (Men’s Fitness)
4. Brad Schoenfeld – This blog isn’t new but I just learned of Brad via two of his badass NSCA journal articles – one on hypertrophy which was the absolute best I’d ever read on the topic, and another on the squat, which was the best review I’ve ever read on the topic as well. I checked out his blog and it’s really good if you’re interested in bodybuilding. Brad is a freakishly smart dude, and he’s very rare in that he’s an accomplished competitor, trainer, and researcher!
5. Joe Dowdell (trainer of athletes, celebrities, and the Gods above) – Joe is very smart (and one of the rare trainers who has a superior understanding of Biomechanics) so I expect good things when he starts blogging regularly. There’s a non-flash, I-pad version of the site coming soon.
6. Ergo-Log (I just stumbled upon this site and it’s awesome!)
1. The 3rd Annual Performance Conference at Sacred Heart University on December 11th
2. Starting Strength Seminar on November 12-14 in Cleveland, OH
4. Awesome Interview with Mike Boyle on BlogTalk Radio
5. Glial Cells with Dr. R. Douglas Fields (they make up 85% of the cells in the Nervous System)
4. Mike T. Nelson – 8 Random Things
7. NSCA article on the role of the core during tennis swings
8. Heavy resistance or high reps for six-pack abs?
9. General, special, and specific core exercises for baseball players
12. Muscular man boobs scare Planet Fitness Worker
13. Franz Snideman breaking down the swing part III (this is an amazing 3-part series…probably the best I’ve seen on the swing)
17. Brandon Alleman rants about some things that piss him off
19. Holy crap this is a great read by Alwyn Cosgrove – a tale of two people
20. Weighted slideboard bodysaw
21. Great video of Coach Todd Wright and some of the exercises he employs
26. The genius dumbbell workout by Men’s Health
28. Ricochet push up by Nick Tumminello
34. How Do You Recover by Kevin Carr on Elitefts
35. Five Simple tips for Better Squatting by Ben Bruno – this is a great read! I love reading Ben’s stuff…he is a thinking man who formulates his own opinions.
38. This is a great video!!! Celebrities getting strong! Good to see C-Dub (Chad Waterbury) talking shop.
40. Although speckled with “Broscience,” this was one of my favorite articles of the week to read simply because the author injected some good humor. It’s a T-Nation article called “The Best Damn Cardio Article Period.”
46. Four Random Exercises by Mike T. Nelson including Pendlay Rows, Kettlebell Presses, Suitcase Deadlifts, and Round-Back Deadlifts
49. Giggling and Powerlifting by Ginger Vieira
51. Great Links by Chris Beardsley
55. The Training Log by Vern Gambetta
56. Great Interview with Jeremy Frisch by Patrick Ward on Iso-Extremes and Eccentric Quasi-Isometrics
60. Lee Taft Interview
63. Slideboard Atomic Push Ups by Ben Bruno
65. Tony Gentilcore on James Fell’s Scathing Article on Jillian Michaels. Click here to read James’ article.
66. Free PDF of the Anatomy Trains / Myofascial Meridians Overview
70. Zercher Squats with Zach Even-Esh
72. Another awesome Cosgrove read – Reversal of Fortune
83. Lessons from Drew Brees by Adam Bornstein
84. Vern Gambetta on Winning and Losing
87. The FMS Website has been spruced-up
93. Monster Garage Gym Footage http://www.criticalbench.com/strength/training-sessions-monster-garage-gym.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpyJkvPNUQI&feature=player_embedded#!
96. Craig Pfisterer With Some Heavy Hip Thrusts! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZewOCtppN8A
97. John Romaniello Interviews Brad Pilon, the Bearded Guru of Fasting
98. More Ben Bruno vids of the Week. This video is hilarious!
102. Howard Gray on the Relationship Between the Sports Scientist and the Coach
104. Holy Crap this is an Inspiring Video. I AM CHAMPION!
105. Six Reasons to Use Sandbags by Josh Henkin
106. Glute Training with Fit Lizzio
111. 5 Things You Need to Hear by Leigh Peele
115. Charles Poliquin on the Woman’s Barbell
119. Double Kettlebell Slideboard Reverse Lunges by Ben Bruno
121. Mike Mahler’s Strength Fitness Tips
124. PJ Striet – Single Leg Band Hip Extension
125. This Year from Gear to Raw – Elitefts
127. Low Back Pain – Quadratus Lumborum
130. NY Times on Rolfing
134. Best Jobs in America – Physical Therapists #4 Best Job? Interesting.
135. Collecting Numbers by Vern Gambetta
138. The Six Greatest Ab Exercises by Men’s Health
141. Let this be Your Guide by Vern Gambetta
146. The Genius Dumbbell Workout by Men’s Health
147. Ian King Rant
151. Seven Steps to Programming for Athletes
152. When Getting Better Isn’t: The Endless Improvement Trap by Shawn Phillips
153. Another Ian King Rant
155. Are You Really a Hargainer? Elitefts Article
156. Sticking Point Tips by Marc Bartley (Elitefts Article)
157. Strongman Implements (Elitefts Article)