Hi fitness folks! Do you know the answer to these questions?
Our research-review service is a must-have for strength coaches, personal trainers, and physical therapists. Each month we receive excellent feedback from subscribers and it’s a steal when you consider how much time and effort is put into it.
November’s PDF will be sent out on Thursday so make sure you’re subscribed if you want to receive it. HERE is the link to our research review service in case you’re not yet subscribed. We also have back issues available for purchase HERE. If you’re new to S&C Research, you can buy October’s edition HERE (there are eight back issues so it’s not too late to get all caught up on each of them). And if you feel uneasy about your foundation of Sports Science knowledge and you’d like to get up to speed, you can buy our Background product HERE.
Below is the list of questions we tackle in our review this month.
Strength & Conditioning and Hypertrophy
- What percentage of pro bodybuilders adhere to bodypart splits, and how many days per week do they typically train?
- How do NSAIDs affect hypertrophy – are they good or bad for muscle growth?
- Is muscular strength or size a better predictor of shot put performance?
- Do jumping programs using boxes of different heights lead to different results?
- What is repeated sprint ability and why do researchers measure it?
- What is leg stiffness and why does it matter for athletic performance?
- Should we rest longer between sets of multi-joint exercises than between sets of single-joint exercises or are both affected similarly by intra-set rest periods?
- Is leg stiffness and power improved more by eccentric exercise than by concentric exercise?
- How many training sessions per week are optimal for training elderly, untrained women?
- What’s more effective – Tabata or traditional endurance training?
- Does exercise help reduce body fat in obese adults when calorie intake is not controlled?
- Does the percentage of VO2-max change between walking and running at the walk-run transition-speed?
- Does core training improve vertical jump, sprint, or agility performance?
- Can cyclists improve their performance using strength training?
- Are elite rugby players stronger and/or more powerful than rugby players competing at lower levels?
- Do changes in muscle architecture correlate with improvements in performance during a competitive season in female softball players?
- Is more exercise better for fat loss?
- Does exercise lead to greater calorie intake?
- Do active and passive stretching produce different effects on muscles?
- What factors influence the maximum stretch limit of the plantar flexors?
Biomechanics & Motor Control
- Why is Usain Bolt unique compared to Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay in terms of sprint biomechanics?
- Where is the optimal load placement for sled towing?
- Which joint produces the most power in first step sprint performance – hip, knee, or ankle?
- How do force, velocity and power differ during raw and equipped squats when using the same weight?
- How can breathing patterns affect core stability?
- Does increasing the load during the eccentric phase of a countermovement jump via elastic bands cause athletes to jump higher?
- How do different push-up variations affect muscular recruitment and peak ground reaction forces?
- What types of feedback are best for improving skill performance?
- How are ballistic and non-ballistic squats different?
- What are long-term potentiation and depression of synaptic activity?
Anatomy, Physiology & Nutrition
- Does the thoracolumbar fascia contribute to back extension strength?
- What is the anatomy of the sacroiliac joint and how can it go awry?
- How doe fascicle curvatures within a muscle belly change during contractions?
- Do some sarcomeres remain over-extended following active stretches?
- How much protein do strength athletes need to support training?
- Does the timing of pre-exercise protein consumption affect muscle protein synthesis after resistance exercise?
- Can Bikram Yoga improve cardiovascular fitness?
- What causes muscle cramps?
- How does vitamin D works on bone?
- How do acute growth hormone and IGF-1 responses to exercise change following 8 weeks of resistance training?
- How does cardiac output change depending on how much muscle mass is working?
- What role does genetics play in obesity?
Pain, Dysfunction, Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation
- Should we still be referring to the placebo effect?
- Are modern remedies for lower back pain any better than those of the ancient Egyptians?
- Should clinicians address pain before investigating the possible underlying causes of lower back pain?
- What is pain and how does it work?
- What are the two types of intervertebral disc degeneration and where do they occur?
- Is our current treatment protocol for hamstring strain injuries any better than it was in the 1950s?
- Is the activity of the gluteals any different in individuals suffering from patellofemoral pain syndrome?