Hi fitness folks! Do you know the answer to these questions? Our research-review service is a must-have for strength coaches, personal trainers, and physical therapists. Each month we receive excellent feedback from subscribers and it’s a steal when you consider how much time and effort is put into it. Below is the list of questions we tackle in our review this month.
Strength & Conditioning and Hypertrophy
- What percentage of pro bodybuilders adhere to bodypart splits, and how many days per week do they typically train?
- How do NSAIDs affect hypertrophy – are they good or bad for muscle growth?
- Is muscular strength or size a better predictor of shot put performance?
- Do jumping programs using boxes of different heights lead to different results?
- What is repeated sprint ability and why do researchers measure it?
- What is leg stiffness and why does it matter for athletic performance?
- Should we rest longer between sets of multi-joint exercises than between sets of single-joint exercises or are both affected similarly by intra-set rest periods?
- Is leg stiffness and power improved more by eccentric exercise than by concentric exercise?
- How many training sessions per week are optimal for training elderly, untrained women?
- What’s more effective – Tabata or traditional endurance training?
- Does exercise help reduce body fat in obese adults when calorie intake is not controlled?
- Does the percentage of VO2-max change between walking and running at the walk-run transition-speed?
- Does core training improve vertical jump, sprint, or agility performance?
- Can cyclists improve their performance using strength training?
- Are elite rugby players stronger and/or more powerful than rugby players competing at lower levels?
- Do changes in muscle architecture correlate with improvements in performance during a competitive season in female softball players?
- Is more exercise better for fat loss?
- Does exercise lead to greater calorie intake?
- Do active and passive stretching produce different effects on muscles?
- What factors influence the maximum stretch limit of the plantar flexors?
Biomechanics & Motor Control
- Why is Usain Bolt unique compared to Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay in terms of sprint biomechanics?
- Where is the optimal load placement for sled towing?
- Which joint produces the most power in first step sprint performance – hip, knee, or ankle?
- How do force, velocity and power differ during raw and equipped squats when using the same weight?
- How can breathing patterns affect core stability?
- Does increasing the load during the eccentric phase of a countermovement jump via elastic bands cause athletes to jump higher?
- How do different push-up variations affect muscular recruitment and peak ground reaction forces?
- What types of feedback are best for improving skill performance?
- How are ballistic and non-ballistic squats different?
- What are long-term potentiation and depression of synaptic activity?
Anatomy, Physiology & Nutrition
- Does the thoracolumbar fascia contribute to back extension strength?
- What is the anatomy of the sacroiliac joint and how can it go awry?
- How doe fascicle curvatures within a muscle belly change during contractions?
- Do some sarcomeres remain over-extended following active stretches?
- How much protein do strength athletes need to support training?
- Does the timing of pre-exercise protein consumption affect muscle protein synthesis after resistance exercise?
- Can Bikram Yoga improve cardiovascular fitness?
- What causes muscle cramps?
- How does vitamin D works on bone?
- How do acute growth hormone and IGF-1 responses to exercise change following 8 weeks of resistance training?
- How does cardiac output change depending on how much muscle mass is working?
- What role does genetics play in obesity?
Pain, Dysfunction, Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation
- Should we still be referring to the placebo effect?
- Are modern remedies for lower back pain any better than those of the ancient Egyptians?
- Should clinicians address pain before investigating the possible underlying causes of lower back pain?
- What is pain and how does it work?
- What are the two types of intervertebral disc degeneration and where do they occur?
- Is our current treatment protocol for hamstring strain injuries any better than it was in the 1950s?
- Is the activity of the gluteals any different in individuals suffering from patellofemoral pain syndrome?
Not interested in these topics? Why not check out our brand new, free hypertrophy resource instead!