Hi folks! I feel that our research-review service is a must-have for strength coaches, personal trainers, and physical therapists. Each month I receive excellent feedback from subscribers and it’s a steal when you consider how much time and effort is put into it. Below is the list of questions we tackle in our review this month.
Strength & Conditioning
- How good is the evidence in favor of eccentric hamstring exercises playing a role in hamstring injury prevention?
- How did Thomas L. DeLorme influence the medical profession’s understanding and use of resistance exercise in physical rehabilitation? Hint: He was the founder of something very important in S&C
- Does resistance training to failure lead to improved cardiovascular fitness in humans through similar mechanisms to aerobic training?
- Which exercise is better for strengthening the adductor magnus and the semitendinosus: the lunge or the leg curl?
- How do volume, gender, rest periods and training status affect the impact of a post-activation potentiation activity?
- Can low-Intensity exercise increase muscle mass and strength under ischemic conditions?
- Does short-term sled towing resisted sprint training in athletes produce different results from unresisted sprint training?
- How should coaches decide which hamstring exercises to use in a hamstring injury prevention program?
- Which swimming training methods are effective at improving performance?
- How does exercise tempo affect the amount of weight that can be lifted during resistance exercise?
- Is cheating more effective for hypertrophy training than performing strict reps?
- Does DOMS as a result of eccentric exercise of the knee flexors alter gait mechanics?
- How does the snatch technique change with increasing barbell weights?
- What were some of the findings from the recent Fascia Research Conference, in Vancouver BC, March 2012?
- Can the metabolic cost of incline walking be predicted from muscle activity?
- Which muscles are responsible for increasing speed at higher running speeds?
- Does moderate running cause significant intervertebral disc compression?
- Do previous estimates of leg stiffness from previously published models correlate with direct measures?
- Is it possible to make use of the stretch shortening cycle under modified acceleration conditions?
- Can belly-dancing movements activate specific lumbar extensor muscle compartments based on functional demands?
- Do American football-specific tasks such as cutting and jumping lead to greater ankle and foot ROMs than walking and running?
- Which muscles are most active during the golf swing?
- Does fatigue during submaximal muscle contractions alter depending on whether the contractions are below or above a critical torque?
- Do maximum breath expirations cause greater activity of the abdominal muscles than the abdominal drawing-in maneuver?
- Are titin properties reflected in single myofibrils?
- What are the architectural differences between the various hamstring muscles?
- What makes champions? Is it practice or genetics?
- Do we know whether it is possible to change muscle fiber types, and what does the evidence suggest?
- Does strength training reduce intra-cortical inhibition?
- Do men or women receive better hypertrophic signaling from sprint exercise?
- What can we learn from studies showing similar muscle protein synthesis rates in young men and women?
- What protein types and dosage are optimal for maximizing muscle protein synthesis after resistance exercise?
- Does low muscle glycogen affect the anabolic response to resistance exercise?
- How does lipid metabolism occur in skeletal muscle?
- Are heart rate variability and heart rate recovery correlated in endurance athletes?
- Does caloric restriction make you more “metabolically flexible”?
- What do physiotherapists consider to be the best sitting spinal posture?
- What can you do to improve sciatica?
- Is there a best tactic for improving functional movement screen (FMS) scores?
- What can we learn about neuroplasticity from the current clinical practices in neurorehabilitation?
- How is repetitive strain injury mediated within the soft tissues?
- Do computer models predict disc failure in healthy human spines with repetitive loading?
- How different are the movement patterns of a single leg squat between men and women?
- Does playing soccer during the formative years lead to an increased risk of femoroacetabular impingement in later life?
- Does the nucleus pulposus migrate more in the annulus of intervertebral discs exposed to cyclic flexion only or combined cyclic flexion and extension?
- What are the current issues in evidence-based practice for rehabilitation professionals?
- What effect do core stability exercises have on feed-forward activation of deep abdominal muscles in subjects with chronic low back pain?
- Is it possible to screen female athletes to identify whether they are more at risk of ACL injury?
- If we know that a female athlete is more at risk of an ACL injury, what exercises or approaches could help reduce that risk?
- Does foam rolling increases joint range of motion and force production?
Not interested in these topics? Why not check out our brand new, free hypertrophy resource instead!