Hi fitness folks! Do you know the answer to these questions? If not, you ought to subscribe to our research review service. HERE is the link in case you’re not yet subscribed.
February’s PDF will be sent out on Friday so make sure you’re subscribed if you want to receive it. We also have back issues available for purchase HERE. If you’re new to S&C Research, you might wish to buy the last few and get caught up, or buy our Background Product to build a good foundation. Below is the list of questions we tackle in our review this month.
Strength and conditioning, power and hypertrophy
- Can explosive resistance training and muscular-endurance training both increase 3km running performance?
- How much difference does the exact content of a warm-up make to the performances of elite bob-skeleton athletes?
- Does the volume and type of ground surface affect the results obtained from plyometric training?
- Can athletes improve 800m running performance by including hard efforts in their warm-ups?
- Does the 3-minute all-out test correctly estimate Critical Power?
- Is the number of steps walked per correlated with health?
- Is change-of-direction ability correlated with sprint ability in young rugby players?
- Does static stretching lead to reduced strength gains?
- Can slower tempos lead to greater hypertrophy than faster tempos?
- What is the optimal length of rest time between sets of power exercises?
- Can low-load blood flow-restricted training produce similar gains in strength and size as traditional, heavy resistance training?
- Is functional training any better than machined-based strength training for elderly people?
Biomechanics and motor control
- How does squat depth affect muscle activity of the leg muscles?
- Does arthrogenic muscular inhibition affect glute activation when the hip is in pain?
- How do joint angles during skating affect skating speed?
- How does leg stiffness change when hopping faster or slower on one and two legs?
- Can we jump higher barefoot than when wearing shoes?
- How does eccentric training change the mechanical properties of the plantar flexor muscle-tendon complex?
- How much do the intervertebral discs contribute to shear load bearing?
- Is hip strength correlated with torso and pelvic motion during running?
- How does hip strength affect gluteal activity?
- How does the position of the support leg affect kicking performance?
- How do muscles contribute to increasing ground reaction forces with increasing running speed?
Anatomy, physiology and nutrition
- Are higher vitamin D levels associated with greater muscle strength?
- How do anabolic steroids affect nerve growth and cognitive function in rats?
- Do eccentric contractions only cause muscle damage in fast-twitch fibers?
- Is carbohydrate intake associated with diabetes risk?
- Is there a maximal anabolic response to protein intake with a meal?
- Does beetroot juice really help with endurance performance?
- Does myostatin only affect muscle mass or does it have other effects?
- Is doping-free sport a utopia?
- Do top athletes display higher levels of nerve growth factor?
- Can dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) supplementation improve recovery from hard exercise?
- How does expiratory flow limitation affect breathing mechanics?
- How do the moment arms of the biceps femoris long head change between the anatomical position and the terminal swing phase of sprinting?
Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- When performing physical activity for health, does it matter whether the activity is carried out in bouts shorter or longer than 10 minutes?
- Can regular physical activity prevent the development of chronic pain?
- Can sadness alter posture?
- Does the supraspinatus initiate shoulder abduction?
- What are the normal ratios of hip agonist to antagonist strength?
- Does hip joint mechanics affect the risk of patellofemoral pain in female runners?
- How do practice injury rates in collegiate sports change with type of sport, division level and point in the sporting year?
- Is the rate of torque development and EMG activity different in previously strained hamstrings?
- Is knee flexor strength and EMG activity lower in previously strained hamstrings?
- Do females with lower back pain display changes in hamstring stiffness 48-hours after exercise?
- Is the Trendelenburg Test valid in terms of predicting hip function during gait?