Hi fitness folks! Do you know the answer to these research questions? If not, you ought to subscribe to our research review service.
The S&C Research Review is a monthly summary of the latest strength and conditioning, biomechanics, physiology, and physical therapy research. It comes out on the first day of every month, and you can subscribe to it on PayPal for just $10 per month and no long-term commitment!
Just click on the button below to subscribe:
Strength & Conditioning, Power and Hypertrophy
- How does rest period affect gains in size when training with light loads?
- Which causes greater gains in size: short rests + light loads or long rests + heavy loads?
- Is discomfort greater when training with light loads?
- Does maximum strength predict repetition strength?
- Does the force vector hypothesis apply to lateral movements?
- Is force production in single-joint exercises reduced by performing multi-joint exercises using the same muscle groups beforehand?
- Does an individualized training program based on force-velocity profile lead to greater gains in jumping height?
- How closely related are vertical jumping, horizontal jumping, linear sprinting, and agility in female team sports athletes?
- Can elastic resistance training improve punching velocity in combat athletes?
- What physiological and technical attributes determine boxing success?
- How is mental toughness related to competitive success in kickboxing?
- Can back squat training to a daily maximum lead to strength gains in strength athletes?
- Does the current research on periodization actually inform us about the benefits of periodization?
Biomechanics & Motor Control
- How does pre-exhausting each of the prime movers affect muscle activation in the bench press?
- How does squat depth affect muscle activation?
- How does trunk lean in the squat affect muscle activation?
- How does muscle activation differ between the back squat and the split squat?
- Does focus of attention alter the movement patterns of the snatch?
- Do external moment arm lengths change with increasing load in the clean?
- How does plyometric training alter muscle–tendon behavior in drop jumps?
- Do central factors contribute to the repeated bout effect?
- Does accentuated eccentric training cause a repeated bout effect?
- How does muscle regenerate after eccentric training?
- Does muscle fascicle shortening velocity continue to increase with increasing joint movement speed?
- Does a unilateral conditioning contraction produce a PAP effect on both limbs?
- How does muscle activation differ between step-ups, step-downs, and single-leg squats?
- Why are some animals much stronger relative to their size than others?
Anatomy, Physiology & Nutrition
- How is the extracellular matrix remodeled during strength training?
- How do eccentric and concentric training really differ?
- Can strength training before bed increase overnight muscle protein synthesis rates?
- Can pre-sleep protein intake increase overnight muscle protein synthesis rates?
- Can pre-sleep neuromuscular electrical stimulation increase overnight muscle protein synthesis?
- Do post-workout and pre-workout protein supplementation have similar effects on hypertrophy?
- How do protein and carbohydrate supplements each affect immunity markers during strength training?
- How do protein and carbohydrate supplements each affect changes in satellite cell content of type I and type II muscle fibers in endurance cyclists?
- Can changes in cytokines, leptin, and IGF-1 levels be used as markers for overtraining?
- Does caffeine alter the cortisol response to exercise after sleep deprivation?
- Can the AGT Gene M235T polymorphism be used to predict the response to training?
- Does metabolic damage occur after prolonged caloric restriction in non-obese subjects?
Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation
- How does stretching affect the muscle activation of the antagonist muscles in a subsequent strength training exercise?
- Can contralateral exercise improve pain and range of motion in the ipsilateral limb?
- Can the modified long sit slump increase hamstrings flexibility and stretch tolerance?
- What are the biological effects of direct or indirect manipulation of fascia?
- Does Graston Technique increase dorsiflexion joint range of motion by more than static stretching?
- What causes iliotibial band pain in active individuals?
- Does the Nordic hamstring curl reduce hamstring strain injury risk?
- Is pain duration associated with muscle sympathetic nerve activity in cases of tendinopathy?
- How does strength training alter tendon size and mechanical properties?
- How are hip muscle strength and muscle activation related to leg, ankle and foot injuries?
- What treatments are effective for helping muscles recover from exercise?
Get the full review!
The full edition contains far more than these brief summaries. It is packed full of 50 detailed reviews covering a range of topics relevant to strength and conditioning and physical therapy professionals alike. It only costs $10 per month so sign up by clicking below!