Hi folks! I feel that our research-review service is a must-have for strength coaches, personal trainers, and physical therapists. Each month we receive excellent feedback from subscribers and it’s a steal when you consider how much time and effort is put into it. Below is the list of questions we tackle in our review this month.
Strength & Conditioning
- Does endurance training interfere with strength, hypertrophy and power gains achieved during resistance training?
- Does frequency of stretching affect gains in hip range of motion in both men and women?
- Does kettlebell training improve postural coordination and vertical jump performance?
- Does exercise during pregnancy affect risk of requiring a Caesarean section and postpartum recovery?
- Can extremely short duration high-intensity interval training improve cycling endurance performance in triathletes?
- Can kettlebell swing training improve maximal and explosive strength to the same extent as jump squats?
- How should strength and conditioning professionals coach youth weightlifting?
- Does Pilates improve the strength of the abdominal muscles?
- Do muscle fibers lose nuclei during unloading and then regain them during reloading?
- Do plyometric training programmes improve motor performance in pre-pubertal children?
- What is the South African Sports Medicine Association Position Statement on Exercise in Pregnancy?
- Can the fascia be trained? If so, how?
- How do internationally competitive weightlifters train and eat?
- Are there sex differences in central fatigue following exercise?
- Is there an association between spinal loads and the psychophysical determination of maximum acceptable force during pushing tasks?
- How is sprinting on sand different from sprinting on grass or artificial turf?
- Which hip extensor muscle picks up the slack when hip extension is fatigued as measured during a jump landing task?
- Are the gluteal muscles of the stance leg or the moving leg more active during resisted lateral band walking?
- What are the ground reaction forces during plyometric push-ups?
- How are the joint angles and joint angular velocities of the team-handball throw, tennis serve, and volleyball spike similar and how are they different?
- Does EPOC really make high-intensity interval training equal to steady-state exercise over a 24-hour period?
- Does training the respiratory muscles really improve exercise tolerance?
- Do dietary supplements help improving body composition and reducing body weight?
- Do elite athletes travelling to international destinations greater than 5 time zone differences from their home country have an increased risk of illness?
- Is altitude training relevant for team sports athletes?
- Is there a volume of resistance exercise above which no further gains in bone mineral density are achieved?
- What methods of body-mass reduction do combat sport athletes use?
- Does the amount of peripheral fatigue before task failure alter depending on the amount of muscle mass involved in the movement?
- Can sports teams be examined as super-organisms?
- Do sugary beverages represent a threat to global health?
- If lower back pain cannot be explained purely by anatomy, biomechanics and pathologies, can we develop a better understanding through neuroscience?
- Do individuals who develop lower back pain following 2-hours of standing display different muscle recruitment strategies during trunk extension from flexion?
- How should the scapula be assessed?
- Are soft tissue massage and exercise effective for the treatment of non-specific shoulder pain?
- Are differences in the nerve conduction velocity of the suprascapular nerve correlated with the infraspinatus atrophy noted in the dominant shoulder of volleyball players?
- Can the EMG of the hip adductor muscles in six clinical examination tests differentiate between the various muscles?
- Which sports have the highest risk of ankle and foot overuse injuries?
- What factors are associated with patellofemoral pain syndrome?
- What are the key biological principles underlying connective tissue adaptations?
- How can rectus femoris muscle injuries be prevented in soccer?
- What is the role of anti-inflammatory drugs in rehabilitation?
- Is research alone sufficient to prevent sports injury?
- What role does resistance training have in musculoskeletal rehabilitation?
- Is the shoulder muscle activation in patients with a massive rotator cuff tear different from healthy subjects?
- Does heat applied with stretch increase range of motion more than stretching alone?
- Is there a correlation between weak hip abductors or external rotators and knee valgus kinematics in healthy subjects?
- What is the relationship between concave angle of vertebral endplate and lumbar intervertebral disc degeneration?
- What is the relationship between latissimus dorsi stiffness and altered scapular kinematics among asymptomatic collegiate swimmers?
- What are the main running-related musculoskeletal injuries?
Not interested in these topics? Why not check out our brand new, free hypertrophy resource instead!