Hi folks! I feel that our research-review service is a must-have for strength coaches, personal trainers, and physical therapists. Each month we receive excellent feedback from subscribers and it’s a steal when you consider how much time and effort is put into it.
September’s PDF will be sent out on Saturday so make sure you’re subscribed if you want to receive it. HERE is the link to our research review service in case you’re not yet subscribed. We also have back issues available for purchase HERE. If you’re new to S&C Research I think you should buy all six back issues, delve in head-first, and get caught up.
Below is the list of questions we tackle in our review this month.
Strength & Conditioning
- Does endurance training interfere with strength, hypertrophy and power gains achieved during resistance training?
- Does frequency of stretching affect gains in hip range of motion in both men and women?
- Does kettlebell training improve postural coordination and vertical jump performance?
- Does exercise during pregnancy affect risk of requiring a Caesarean section and postpartum recovery?
- Can extremely short duration high-intensity interval training improve cycling endurance performance in triathletes?
- Can kettlebell swing training improve maximal and explosive strength to the same extent as jump squats?
- How should strength and conditioning professionals coach youth weightlifting?
- Does Pilates improve the strength of the abdominal muscles?
- Do muscle fibers lose nuclei during unloading and then regain them during reloading?
- Do plyometric training programmes improve motor performance in pre-pubertal children?
- What is the South African Sports Medicine Association Position Statement on Exercise in Pregnancy?
- Can the fascia be trained? If so, how?
- How do internationally competitive weightlifters train and eat?
- Are there sex differences in central fatigue following exercise?
- Is there an association between spinal loads and the psychophysical determination of maximum acceptable force during pushing tasks?
- How is sprinting on sand different from sprinting on grass or artificial turf?
- Which hip extensor muscle picks up the slack when hip extension is fatigued as measured during a jump landing task?
- Are the gluteal muscles of the stance leg or the moving leg more active during resisted lateral band walking?
- What are the ground reaction forces during plyometric push-ups?
- How are the joint angles and joint angular velocities of the team-handball throw, tennis serve, and volleyball spike similar and how are they different?
- Does EPOC really make high-intensity interval training equal to steady-state exercise over a 24-hour period?
- Does training the respiratory muscles really improve exercise tolerance?
- Do dietary supplements help improving body composition and reducing body weight?
- Do elite athletes travelling to international destinations greater than 5 time zone differences from their home country have an increased risk of illness?
- Is altitude training relevant for team sports athletes?
- Is there a volume of resistance exercise above which no further gains in bone mineral density are achieved?
- What methods of body-mass reduction do combat sport athletes use?
- Does the amount of peripheral fatigue before task failure alter depending on the amount of muscle mass involved in the movement?
- Can sports teams be examined as super-organisms?
- Do sugary beverages represent a threat to global health?
- If lower back pain cannot be explained purely by anatomy, biomechanics and pathologies, can we develop a better understanding through neuroscience?
- Do individuals who develop lower back pain following 2-hours of standing display different muscle recruitment strategies during trunk extension from flexion?
- How should the scapula be assessed?
- Are soft tissue massage and exercise effective for the treatment of non-specific shoulder pain?
- Are differences in the nerve conduction velocity of the suprascapular nerve correlated with the infraspinatus atrophy noted in the dominant shoulder of volleyball players?
- Can the EMG of the hip adductor muscles in six clinical examination tests differentiate between the various muscles?
- Which sports have the highest risk of ankle and foot overuse injuries?
- What factors are associated with patellofemoral pain syndrome?
- What are the key biological principles underlying connective tissue adaptations?
- How can rectus femoris muscle injuries be prevented in soccer?
- What is the role of anti-inflammatory drugs in rehabilitation?
- Is research alone sufficient to prevent sports injury?
- What role does resistance training have in musculoskeletal rehabilitation?
- Is the shoulder muscle activation in patients with a massive rotator cuff tear different from healthy subjects?
- Does heat applied with stretch increase range of motion more than stretching alone?
- Is there a correlation between weak hip abductors or external rotators and knee valgus kinematics in healthy subjects?
- What is the relationship between concave angle of vertebral endplate and lumbar intervertebral disc degeneration?
- What is the relationship between latissimus dorsi stiffness and altered scapular kinematics among asymptomatic collegiate swimmers?
- What are the main running-related musculoskeletal injuries?
Have an excellent week fitness peeps!