Hi fitness folks! Do you know the answer to the May strength & conditioning research review questions? If not, you ought to subscribe to our research review service. HERE is the link in case you’re not yet subscribed.
May’s PDF will be sent out on Wednesday so make sure you’re subscribed if you want to receive it. We also have back issues available for purchase HERE. If you’re new to S&C Research, you might wish to buy the last few and get caught up, or buy our Background Product to build a good foundation. Below is the list of questions we tackle in our review this month.
Strength & Conditioning, Power and Hypertrophy
- Which exercise improves vertical jump to a greater degree – squats or hang cleans?
- If you’re doing compound movements, can adding single-joint exercises lead to increased hypertrophy?
- Which is better for improving sprint acceleration – light sled towing or heavy sled towing?
- Is sled towing as effective as traditional sprint training for improving sprinting performance?
- How does muscle strength-to-weight ratio affect functional task performance?
- Is long duration aerobic exercise necessary for power athletes?
- Could changes in brain structure explain the cross-over effect?
- What do we know about core muscle activity during physical fitness exercises?
- How do different warm-ups affect leg press 1RM?
- What are the best methods for improving agility?
- Are all hamstrings involved equally in a Nordic Hamstring curl?
- How does training volume affect strength and size gains?
- How effective is strength training for improving change-of-direction performance?
- How effective are plyometrics for improving strength, power and agility for soccer?
- Does inter-set stretching impair strength gains?
- How does contraction intensity affect hypertrophy signaling?
Biomechanics & Motor Control
- What are the contributors of punching forces in combat sports athletes?
- Is the straddle foot position better than the parallel foot position for vertical jump performance?
- Which field tests correlate best with baseball throwing velocity?
- Are internal and external power outputs significantly correlated in the Olympic clean?
- Can jumping performance predict sprint running performances?
- Does the vastus intermedius display a different profile of EMG in relation to knee joint angle during knee extensions than the other quadriceps muscles?
- What are the relationships between strength, sprint and jump performance in well trained youth soccer players?
- How many functional subdivisions does the gluteus medius contain?
- Does iliotibial band force transmission alter tibiofemoral tibial mechanics?
- How do two-foot ankle hop, repeated squat jump, double-leg hop, depth jumps from 30 and 60 cm, and single-leg and double-leg tuck jumps.differ in respect of joint moments, impulses and powers?
- Does the rate of decline in muscular power differ between men and women?
- Can the vastus medialis be subdivided into separate regions?
- How do Usain Bolt’s world-record breaking performances differ from those of the other finalists?
Anatomy, Physiology & Nutrition
- What biomarkers indicate the overtraining syndrome?
- Does higher protein intake during dieting lead to greater retention of lean body mass?
- Does the timing of protein ingestion during recovery from resistance exercise affect muscle protein synthesis?
- Does the timing of food intake predict weight loss effectiveness?
- Is skeletal muscle oxidative function hampered by muscular hypertrophy?
- Do COX inhibiting drugs reduce muscular hypertrophy after resistance exercise?
- Do fat deposits in abdominal, trunk and hip regions vary by ethnicity in men?
- What is neuro-doping?
- Does eating breakfast affect appetite in overweight teenagers?
- Does reducing sleep quality contribute to increasing aging of endocrine and metabolic function?
Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation
- Which is better at relieving muscle soreness – massage or active exercise?
- How useful is myofascial release as a treatment for orthopedic conditions?
- Does self-myofascial release with a foam roller improve arterial function?
- What effect does self-myofascial release with a foam roller have on performance?
- Are male soccer players more likely to incur a hamstring strain than female soccer players?
- Can different types of lower back pain be differentiated by muscle activity during trunk flexion?
- What types of loading protocols are best for rehabilitating Achilles and patellar tendinopathy?
- How does vibration training affect electromechanical delay and rate of force development?
- Is core stability training useful for injury prevention?