Hi fitness folks! Do you know the answer to these questions? If not, you ought to subscribe to our research review service. HERE is the link in case you’re not yet subscribed.
January’s PDF will be sent out on Tuesday so make sure you’re subscribed if you want to receive it. We also have back issues available for purchase HERE. If you’re new to S&C Research, you might wish to buy the last few and get caught up. Below is the list of questions we tackle in our review this month.
Strength & Conditioning, Power and Hypertrophy
- Is multiple set training really better than single set training for muscle hypertrophy?
- Are plyometrics better than traditional strength training for improving sit-to-stand performance in elderly people?
- Does using a cluster set instead of a single set to failure lead to greater post-activation potentiation and greater jumping height?
- Does stretching for 15-seconds or 45-seconds reduce vertical jump performance similarly?
- How far do soccer players sprint during games?
- How much does strength training improve sprinting performance in young soccer players over a two-year period?
- How much do you need to reduce the weight by on successive sets with the same load in order to maximize volume during hypertrophy training?
- Is horizontal jumping ability related to sprint as well as long distance running performance?
Biomechanics & Motor Control
- What are the keys to training athletes to accelerate more quickly?
- How can athletes increase their striking and rotary power for baseball?
- What are the best ways for coaches to develop power for athletes?
- What are the best methods for improving vertical jump?
- Does the statement “a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle” apply to children?
- Does the Shake Weight® work the muscles any differently than traditional dumbbells of the same weight?
- What causes the cross-transfer effect in unilateral strength training?
- Does exercise-induced muscle damage reduce isometric and stretch-shortening cycle strength to the same extent?
- How do obese people adapt in order to run more efficiently?
- Do stronger legs make drop landings less likely to cause women ACL injury?
- Is the ratio of knee-to-hip strength responsible for creating ACL injury in women?
- Can instructing skilled athletes to focus their attention externally at greater distances increase jumping performance?
- Is the goal to maximize or optimize leg stiffness for increasing running performance?
- Does muscle activity differ during maximal concentric and eccentric contractions?
- What factors predict maximum strength?
- Do neural or mechanical factors explain differences in movement patterns between children and adults?
- Can we extrapolate information about injury prevention from elite soccer players to recreational athletes?
- Do compression garments make muscles stronger?
- Does ankle restriction change knee joint work done and power output during vertical jumps?
Anatomy, Physiology & Nutrition
- Does adding sprints to continuous exercise reduce or increase fat oxidation?
- Does aerobic exercise reduce or increase appetite?
- Does resistance training raise the risk of cardiac events in elderly people?
- Which of these improve performance: watching motivational, humorous, aggressive, sad, or erotic videos before heavy squatting?
- What causes nighttime muscle cramps?
- How is alpha-actinin-3 genotype associated with exercise-induced muscle damage?
- Can creatine supplementation be used to treat diseases in addition to improving sports performance?
- Is muscle signaling different following maximal isoinertial (same load) and isokinetic (same speed) sprint cycling exercise?
- What kinds of sprint intervals maximize energy expenditure and enjoyment in overweight boys?
- Does creatine supplementation reduce blood lactate when cycling?
- What two key factors regulate muscle protein synthesis?
- What is the optimal amount of whey protein consumption for maximizing muscle protein synthesis in older men who strength train?
- Are satellite cells involved in the muscular hypertrophy response that is induced by myostatin inhibition?
- Are androgen receptors involved in anabolic androgenic steroid-induced aggressive behavior?
Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation
- Can unilateral spinal stability training correct muscular imbalances and improve overall spinal stability?
- How does exercise affect proprioception, and what 5 factors comprise proprioception?
- How does the Valsalva maneuver affect intra-abdominal pressure and is it safe?
- Which exercises best target the gluteus maximus and gluteus medius and which exercises do so while minimizing activation of the tensor fascia lata?
- How has lumbar spine surgery changed over the last decade?
- Is the more modern short-foot exercise more effective than the towel-curl exercise for improving dynamic balance?
- What are the key risk factors for stress fractures?