Hi fitness folks! Do you know the answer to the February strength & conditioning research review questions? If not, you ought to subscribe to our research review service. HERE is the link in case you’re not yet subscribed.
February’s PDF will be sent out on Saturday so make sure you’re subscribed if you want to receive it. We also have back issues available for purchase HERE. If you’re new to S&C Research, you might wish to buy the last few and get caught up, or buy our Background Product to build a good foundation. Below is the list of questions we tackle in our review this month.
Strength & Conditioning, Power and Hypertrophy
- How do NFL players in different positions differ in size and strength?
- How is squat strength associated with sprinting and jumping performance in soccer players?
- How do different strength training programs affect football players?
- How do energy expenditure methods differ when assessing bodyweight exercises?
- Can we justify small-sample research?
- Can blood flow restriction training improve size and strength in athletes in just 3 weeks?
- How do eccentric-only and concentric-only resistance-training adaptations differ?
- Are maximal strength adaptations affected by concurrent strength and sprint-interval training?
- What characteristics underpin sprint, vertical jump and change of direction performance?
- Does exercise performance differ in the morning and the evening?
- How do the biomechanics of knee extensions with and without rubber band resistance differ?
- What is the optimal recovery time for the PAP effect in professional soccer players?
- Can athletes perform more reps with 85% of 1RM eccentrically than concentrically?
- Do Olympic Speed Skaters use a polarized training model?
Biomechanics & Motor Control
- Does sprint running momentum predict ability in elite rugby union players?
- What happens at each joint during the first stance phase in sprint running?
- Do dumbbells lead to greater pectoral activity during bench pressing than barbells?
- Do different exercises activate different parts of the latissimus dorsi?
- What factors predict knee valgus during single-leg squats?
- How does gait differ between old and young people?
- Can real-time feedback increase forward propulsion during walking in older adults?
- Do powerlifters bench press more similarly to one another than untrained subjects?
- How can hip moment be maximized during split squats?
- Can the plantar-flexor moment arm predict plantar-flexor moment?
- Do elite Kenyan distance runners display longer Achilles tendon moment arms?
- Can warming-up with a weighted vest improve running performance?
Anatomy, Physiology & Nutrition
- Is vitamin supplementation beneficial in masters athletes?
- Can nitrite supplementation improve arterial function?
- Do the delivery formats of supplements determine their expected effectiveness?
- Does protein supplementation enhance carbohydrate supplementation for endurance exercise?
- Do prohormone supplements work?
- What do athletes actually eat at major competitions?
- Why is it important that water content in skeletal muscle changes after resistance exercise?
- Does concurrent training interfere with resistance-training adaptations through the AMPK signaling pathway?
- Does non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) differ between rats with high and low aerobic capacity?
- How much whey protein maximizes muscle protein synthesis after a workout?
- How important are satellite cells for hypertrophy?
- Is resistance-training as effective as aerobic exercise for type II diabetes?
- Can hamstring anatomy tell us why hamstring strains happen where they do?
Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation
- How much neuromuscular training is needed to reduce ACL injury risk by 70%?
- How do tibial plateau slopes influence ACL injury?
- Which track and field events are most at risk of hamstring strains?
- Do younger athletes display reduced tendon adaptations compared to older athletes?
- Does running in minimalist footwear increase the rate of injury in recreational runners?
- What factors are associated with lumbar lordosis?
- What do we know about overuse injury and burnout in youth sports?
- Which interventions can prevent sports-related injuries?
- Does patellar mal-tracking lead to patellofemoral pain syndrome?