Hi fitness folks! Do you know the answer to these questions?
Our research-review service is a must-have for strength coaches, personal trainers, and physical therapists. Each month we receive excellent feedback from subscribers and it’s a steal when you consider how much time and effort is put into it. Below is the list of questions we tackle in our review this month.
Strength & Conditioning, Power and Hypertrophy
- Do we need to lift bigger weights to get bigger muscles?
- Can we take time off training and quickly regain the lost ground?
- With postactivation potentiation, can we have too much of a good thing?
- Does endurance training make you small and weak even when you’re lifting weights?
- Can endurance training help old people build muscle?
- What is the optimal rest period for post-activation potentiation for jumping?
- Is leg neural drive larger in elite volleyball athletes compared to college volleyball athletes?
- For power improvements, is a periodized progression from low loads to high loads better than one from high loads to low loads?
- How do intra-set rest periods affect power clean technique?
- Do higher volumes of resistance training lead to greater improvements in both strength and power?
- What loads are best for producing the greatest postactivation potentiation effect?
- Which resistance training methods are effective for improving throwing velocity?
- How effective is resistance training in improving power and sports performance in adolescent athletes?
- When should young athletes specialize?
- How do sprint performance characteristics change over time in Afro-Caribbean adolescents?
Biomechanics & Motor Control
- What biomechanical factors affect the production of power in sport?
- Which provides more stability to the knee during the forward lunge – the hamstrings or the gluteus maximus?
- Which shoulder press variants (standing, seated, barbell, dumbbell) are best for building shoulder size?
- How similar are the hip and knee joint loads during vertical jumping and push jerking?
- How should we measure power in athletes?
- How important is power for running speed?
- Which factors affect how fast athletes can perform a lateral cutting maneuver?
- Can increasing the strength of the toe flexor muscles improve horizontal jumping performance?
- What are the basic mechanisms of muscular power?
- How similar are sprint and change of direction performance in college football players?
- What is the right definition of the term “intensity”? Does it relate to the load used or to the effort involved?
- How does hamstring flexibility affect spinal curvatures in kayakers?
- What is the optimal load for hip power during jump squats?
Anatomy, Physiology & Nutrition
- How can we define, predict and prevent overtraining?
- How does sleep deprivation affect autonomic and endocrine functions?
- How does protein supplementation increase muscular adaptations?
- How does the autonomic system recover following sprint interval exercise?
- Does the pattern of post-exercise protein intake affect whole-body protein turnover?
- Are the hormonal responses to resistance, aerobic and sprint training different?
- Do the characteristics of top-level marathon runners from Kenya differ from those of Caucasian athletes?
- Can fatiguing handgrip exercise affect force production at the ankle joint?
- How should we measure heart rate variability in elite triathletes?
- Can insulin increase mTOR phosphorylation, mitochondrial protein synthesis, and ATP production in human skeletal muscle without amino acid replacement?
- Does the right ventricle increase in size following endurance or resistance training?
- Do cyclists have different hormonal levels than other endurance athletes?
Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation
- What factors contribute to valgus collapse during the squat?
- What is the problem with the current system of spine pain classification?
- What factors affect ACL injury risk?
- How does leg muscle activity and speed of sit-to-stance-to-sit movement differ between people with and without lower back pain?
- Does centralization affect clinical outcomes of lower back pain?
- What are the key factors to be aware of in respect of concussion in sports?
- How should clinicians decide how to treat rotator cuff tears?
- How does hamstring strength change in the 6 months after return to sport from injury?
- Can a neurodynamic sliding technique improve hamstring flexibility?
Not interested in these topics? Why not check out our brand new, free hypertrophy resource instead!