Hi folks! I feel that our research-review service is a must-have for strength coaches, personal trainers, and physical therapists. Each month I receive excellent feedback from subscribers and it’s a steal when you consider how much time and effort is put into it. Below is the list of questions we tackle in our review this month.
Strength & Conditioning
- Can counter movement jump height predict sprinting performance?
- Can a combined sled-towing and sprint program improve 10m and 30m sprint performance by more than a pure sprint program?
- Can playing music increase explosiveness and rate of force development?
- How does explosive training with heavy, medium or light loads affect the load at which maximum power output is achieved?
- Which method is better for developing power: fast bar speeds or tempo training?
- Is central fatigue or peripheral fatigue responsible for failure during sets of repeated contractions at low loads?
- Can both 3RM and 15RM loads produce sufficient EMG activity to lead to training adaptations of the neck and shoulder muscles?
- Does anaerobic energy expenditure change with lifting tempo?
- What hip, knee and ankle ROMs and moments are associated with weightlifting success?
- Which is better at improving sprinting performance, maximum strength and power: heavy resistance training, power training, plyometrics or a combined program?
- Is the strength of the psoas major correlated with sprinting performance?
- Does muscular activity increase with blood flow restriction training?
- Does core stability training lead to improved athletic performance?
- Can training the respiratory muscles improve endurance exercise performance?
- Do golfers with low handicaps have greater glute strength than golfers with high handicaps?
- Do muscle activation patterns change when stride rate is increased without increasing running speed?
- Do slower and faster walking speeds cause greater muscle activity than self-selected walking speeds?
- Is the EMG activity of the prime movers during a bench press lower during a Swiss ball bench press than during a standard stable bench press?
- How does a muscle fiber transmit force into the surrounding endomysium?
- How does a low or a high foot arch affect joint angle movements and forces in landing from a drop jump?
- Can different exercises activate different muscles within a single muscle group to different degrees?
- Are there sex differences in pelvic and hip flexibility?
- How does connective tissue contribute to force transmission from the muscles?
- Which thoracic segments produce most axial rotation ROM in normal movement?
- To what degree can forces be transmitted between the nucleus and the annulus?
- How is the pituitary gland organized and how do the various hormones that it releases co-ordinate with each other?
- Does high intensity interval training improve inspiratory muscle strength by more than endurance training?
- Do the different methods of measuring muscle fiber type give the same results?
- Does psychological stress impede short-term muscular recovery from resistance exercise?
- Can the insulin resistance and reduced fatty acid oxidation capability of the severely obese be brought back to normal levels purely by weight loss or is exercise also required?
- Does the larger exercise stroke volume in endurance-trained men result from increased left ventricular early or late inflow or tissue velocities?
- What amount of protein is appropriate for strength athletes?
- How is bone density and structure different in ageing sprint athletes from younger, recreationally active reference subjects?
- What decisions need to be made in recovering from an ACL injury?
- How should imaging be used to inform clinicians regarding the cause of back or referred back pain?
- Does kinesiotaping affect muscle strength of the quadriceps immediately after application?
- Does kinesiotaping affect muscle strength of the elbow flexors immediately after application?
- Do different testers award the same subjects the same FMS score?
- Does the evidence support the claim that excessive foot pronation causes leg injury?
- Can scapula muscle exercises improve measures of pain and function in a group of overhead athletes with shoulder impingement symptoms?
- What physiological mechanisms occur as a result of manual therapy?
- Do the mechanical properties of fascia depend upon the direction of loading?
- Is increased foot pronation correlated with knee pain caused by running?
- How well correlated are weight-bearing and non-weight-bearing ankle dorsiflexion ROM?
- How are animal intervertebral discs different from human intervertebral discs?
- How does lower back injury occur as a result of various different sports (Throwing Athletes, Rotational Sports, and Contact-Collision Sports)?
- How does lower back injury occur as a result of various different sports (Dancers, Gymnasts, and Figure Skaters)?
- To what extent should clinicians be looking to the posterior spine rather than the anterior spine to find the causes of back pain?
- How do spinal and axial skeleton Injuries in the National Football League vary between player position and between seasons of the year?
Not interested in these topics? Why not check out our brand new, free hypertrophy resource instead!